Typhoon Sendong, My Hometown and Family

Quiet days on the blog.  I had a few posts planned but I've been busy at work the last few weeks of december.  Moreover, more important/urgent things have happened to my family.

Typhoon Sendong hit Mindanao on December 17, hardest on Cagayan de Oro and Iligan City, my hometown.  My brother who was in Cebu informed me that the house was flooded.  This has NEVER happened in all of our years living in that house.  I was alarmed but also at a loss on how to comprehend the situation.  I cannot imagine how bad it could be and fervently prayed to God to keep my family safe.  It was a very long night.

Early morning, I was woken up by Manong's call saying my family is safe.  Thank you, God.  The house was flooded up to the roof and they were able to survive the flood by staying on the roof (Em and Ate Girlie) or clinging to a balingbing tree (Papang and Mommy).  Then updates and pictures started pouring in on Facebook.  That's when I realized how devastating the typhoon was.  Many lives were lost and my family is blessed to have survived it.  God's miracle... I really could have lost loved ones on that day but God saved them and we are thankful.

We have received overwhelming help from friends and relatives -- shelter, food, clothing, financial assistance, help with the cleanup and prayers.  Thank you, all.

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. (Romans 15:13)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats