Yolanda

I intended to do back-to-back posts on the Singapore trip 2 weeks ago but was not in the right frame of mind to work on that in light of what happened to the Visayas after supertyphoon Yolanda.  I was worried for my relatives in Bohol, especially after after being shaken by the recent earthquake.  My parents were there when the typhoon hit and I was hoping it would not be as devastating as the typhoon Sendong they suffered through in 2011.  It was a tense time and I was so relieved to talk to mom after the typhoon to confirm that they are all ok.

While Bohol was spared, Leyte and other provinces in the direct path of the typhoon were severely devastated.  First there was very little news from the affected areas, then a flood of pictures on social media, and more detailed coverage in the news.  We have had a string of calamities recently but this was at a much larger scale. We knew before the typhoon hit that it was going to be bad but it's hard to imagine the extent of the until the floods recede and we start getting news from the ground.  It's a sad time for the Philippines. As always, many people immediately started relief operations to help the victims.  I initially felt that whatever help I provide would not make a dent against the overall need but quickly adjusted my thinking. It may not be much  but if it helps one person, then it matters.

The song World on Fire by Sarah McLachlan, came to mind and it put things in perspective for me.


I pray for the victims, that God provide them the strength and grace and healing.  And thanksgiving for the volunteers, donors and countries that have come to the aid of our countrymen in the Visayas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats