2015 Reading List #4

Here are the books I read in June.=)

13. Have A Little Faith by Mitch Albom. I borrowed this book from a public book box at the park. It's about Mitch Albom's relationship with two men of faith. His rabbi, Al Lewis, asked him to do his eulogy which he agreed to do, albeit hesitantly at first. He felt an obligation to really know the rabbi so they met many times over 8 years at the rabbi's home, during special occasions, at the hospital. The other man of faith was a Christian pastor whose struggling church sheltered the homeless. Albom learned about the pastor's troubled criminal past and how he turned his life around to keep a promise to God at a time of desperate need. I read Tuesdays with Morrie years ago and it's amazing to me how Albom has nurtured deep relationships with these amazing people. This book left me feeling more hopeful about humanity and that is a good thing.

14. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. This book was recommended by a friend many years ago but I put off reading it because I had read Summerland by the same author and it wasn't great. I found this book at a library sale and glad I bought and read it. The subject itself is fascinating, the rise of comic books during WWII, when the need for heroes and escape was great. It follows the adventures of cousins Kavalier and Clay as they make a name for themselves in the comic book industry, and their own coming-of-age experiences.

15. Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. This book has appeared on my IG feed many times so I know it's quite popular. I usually don't read books at the height of their popularity (exhibit A, Kavalier and Clay) but this was at the library sale, too, so I got it. The story is not told in a typical fashion. Instead, you piece it together through emails, magazine articles, phone conversations, etc. It's a light read compared to my recent selections. Many people found this funny but it wasn't to me, just because my perspective generally tends to be serious. But this was still an enjoyable read because of the fresh plot and well-developed characters.

Humans of New York/Little Humans by Brandon Stanton and Design Mom by Gabrielle Stanley Blair. I wouldn't count these books towards by 2015 reading goal just because they're mostly pictures.=) I have followed Humans of New York on Facebook for a while and I love the idea of photographing strangers and learning a little about their stories. It's one of the most inspirational places online. The comments are uplifting and positive. You can see that if passion and creativity collide, beautiful things (pictures!) happen. Design Mom is about kid-friendly living spaces. It offers a lot of great layout and organization ideas. I loved looking at the photos. Someday... =) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats