Filipino Friday 2: School of Reading

It's officially Tuesday but still not too late for my Filipino Friday post!

School of Reading. We all started reading somewhere, and more often than not, we were influenced by someone. Who got you into reading? Your parents? A friend? A librarian? One teacher who always lends out his/her books? How helpful was your school in helping your reading habit / fueling your book addiction?

I credit a combination of circumstances from childhood for fostering my interest in reading.  I did not grow up with Internet, we did not have a TV during early childhood, I was born in province where there wasn't a lot of distractions, my parents read and bought books, and I was an introverted kid who preferred to stay indoors rather than play outside.

I read the encyclopedia and dictionary, I rented komiks from the neighborhood sari-sari store, I read the newspaper, I borrowed novels from my cousin's book-lending business (for free) and I hung out at the school library.  My school libraries in elementary and high school weren't very well-stocked though.  You would most likely find the same books this year as last year but I kept going anyway, and borrowed the same books repeatedly.  Going to college in UP opened up a whole new world of books to me.  Even though I took up Engineering, I spent more time at the Arts and Letters library than at Eng'g.  (I would also race to the Filipiniana section most days to answer the crossword puzzles in the newspapers.  If I go in the afternoon, they would most likely be done and I'm left filling unanswered boxes from others.)  Fun times!

The authors and the stories also helped fuel my interest.  When I read a book that I really enjoy, I would try to get my hands on everything by that author.  In high school, I read a lot of Maeve Binchy novels.  She died on Sunday, July 30.  I also went through Robert Ludlum, Stephen King, John Grisham, John Irving and Og Mandino phases.  When I started working, my interest shifted to non-fiction, and it has stuck to the present.  I do sometimes feel that maybe I am missing out on all the good fiction out there but that's just what I like to spend my reading time on these days.

I read fewer books now compared to years ago because I also enjoy other hobbies.  Work and family time are also top priorities.  But whenever I come across a good book, you can bet that I would fork out the cash and stay up nights just to finish it.  Once a reader, always a reader.

The 2nd Filipino Reader Conference will be held on August 18, 2012 at the Filipinas Heritage Library.  Click here for more details.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats