Fast to Focus


Ready! 
The start of the year always brings a lot of promise.  We vow to do new things, make changes, be better people.  We are hopeful and excited and rearing to get things started.

Get Set!  
VCF begins the year with corporate Prayer and Fasting.  Everyone is enjoined to fast, do daily devotions, join prayer meetings -- dedicate time to what's really important.  We have participated in this annual P&F for the past 5 or so years.  While we are eager to get things started for the year,  P&F is like stepping on the brakes so we can focus and think about where we are going, how to get there and more importantly, Who we are following.  We ask for God's presence, guidance and grace as we begin the new year.

Fasting does not have to be on food alone.  It is also on activities and habits that occupy our time.  The primary thing that I realize after the fast is how much time I spend on unfulfilling activities, and how I can really get by with less (food, stuff, etc).  This is waste reduction year.=)  I also realized that I need to learn how to make fasting a regular discipline especially when making important decisions or in the midst of challenging times.

While there are guidelines on how to fast, it's important to remember that it's really all about seeking God.  We remove the distractions so we can listen and discern better.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

Go!
Now we can really start the year.=)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats