Music Life

After writing the post about the Apples, I got motivated to cleanup the music files in the home computer so I can update my iPod playlist.  I spent a good part of the morning yesterday renaming (artist - title format), tagging, classifying and deleting.  I felt a sense of accomplishment because this is one nagging task that I have postponed for too long.  Plus, I've gotten bored with the old playlist so it's good to have a fresh one.

I used to be more devoted to music as a hobby, as evidenced by:
  • I recorded songs on the radio using cassette tapes and painstakingly transcribed the lyrics into my lyrics notebook.  Obviously, this was pre-Google age.
Photo credit
  • Bought Smash songhits practically every week in high school.  Most of the songs would be the same but there are new ones and some artist features.  I should have kept the one from when Kurt Cobain died.
  • In college, I decided I wanted to learn the guitar so I went to Lyric in SM North Edsa and bought one, by myself.  The guitar gave out in 2010 but it took a while before I threw it, sentimental reasons... The very first song I learned on the guitar was 'As I Lay Me Down' by Sophie B. Hawkins.  
  • I used to buy tapes and CDs and would buy even the obscure ones.  It has been a while since I've done this because now it's too easy to download songs for free.  I think it's sad that musicians work on a whole album and only one or two are heard by people because we now have the option to pick and choose...
I have not kept abreast of new songs and artists because I hardly listen to the radio so my iPod playlist is still relatively oldies but I enjoyed the updated list playing in the background while working yesterday.  I figure I will start listening to new songs more because there are a lot of good ones out there.

Recommendations?

Comments

  1. At, try http://noisetrade.com/ for free songs. folk, singer-songwriter type. and http://www.themusicbed.com/ (not free, some instrumentals) :-D
    my current favorites are Act of Congress, Ben Howard, and Te Vaka, and listening again to Joey Ayala :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Em! Guess what? Act of Congress is coming to Manila, naa as ilang website. Wala pay exact date pero around September.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats