Rock of Ages - The Musical

Richard and I watched Rock of Ages last Saturday at the Carlos P. Romulo Theater in RCBC.  I first knew about it from Atlantis' Facebook page.  It's the same company that produced Next to Normal, which we saw last year for Richard's birthday.


The first reason why I wanted to see this was Mig Ayesa who's playing Stacee Jaxx.  I watched the reality talent search Rock Star: INXS back in 2005 and he was one of the more notable contestants.  As they started introducing the other cast members, I felt even more compelled to see it.

Mig Ayesa was good and there's no doubt he can sing but there were moments when it looked like he was lip-synching, which threw me off.  It was probably just the view from the loge or just me.  Anyway, I was really impressed by Vina Morales, Nyoy Volante and the rest of the Filipino cast.  This is Vina's first venture into theater and I think she was great.  Her and Nyoy's big voices carried really well and they had good chemistry playing the small-town girl and city boy respectively.  Aiza Seguerra and Bibo Reyes were funny!

I knew most of the songs from Rock of Ages because I grew up listening to them, courtesy of my older brother and cousin.  So this familiarity with the music plus the excellent performance made watching Rock of Ages a very enjoyable experience.  I was on my feet clapping for the final song.  Super fun!



Picture-taking is not allowed so I'm really happy to see the performance photos above from facebook/atlantis.productions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats