Vienna Teng


Let me introduce you to one of my favorite artists ever, Vienna Teng.  I have been a fan since her first album, Warm Strangers, was released in 2001.  I bought the CD of that as well as her sophomore album, Waking Hour.  I don't recall how I first came across her music but I was immediately drawn to it because of the unusual and complex melodies, poetic lyrics and the artist herself.  Vienna Teng is intelligent (computer science in Stanford), eloquent, has a soothing voice and a gifted songwriter.  When I listen to her music, I sense the precision of the elements working together.

The ultimate proof that I'm a fan is in the picture below, although you can't tell right away.=) I used her verion of the Chinese song Lǜdǎo Xiǎoyèqǔ (Green Island Serenade), a hidden track from the first album, for my wedding march.  I was not 100% sure it was appriopriate for a wedding so I looked up the English translation of the lyrics, thought is was fine and went with it. Beautiful music.


I have not closely kept track of Vienna's music since her second album but I listen to the mp3s once in a while and I also follow her on Facebook and Twitter.  But I reaffirmed my support last week by contributing to her fund-raising project on Kickstarter. She wanted to raise $20k to fund the music video for Level Up, from her new album AIMS.  It was fully-funded in a few hours and she stretched it to offer some more fun rewards.  The latest goal was that she would do an Asia tour in 2014 if the project reached 1400 backers or $80k. Goal achieved.  The best news? The Philippines is included!

Look her up! You can thank me later.=)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats