Appreciating the Noise

I stepped out of the condo last night, stayed at the corridor where it was silent.  I walked towards the window, looked out at the illuminated streets and buildings.  This was Metro Manila on a Sunday night.  It was quiet, probably getting ready for a busy week ahead.  I stood there for a short while and relished the quiet.

I went back inside and said complained to Rich, "Parang nakukulob ang ingay dito sa bahay..." He said, "That's because we're happy lab."  I chuckled, and my attitude immediately switched because it was true.  It was noisy but it was a happy and playful noise.  I wonder how many people are lonely at that moment and would like to be surrounded with the kind of noise I live with.  And here I was, failing to appreciate the blessing of a child's laughter and incessant talking, playful banter, and even the unheeded reminders that toys need to be packed away.

I thanked God for the reminder, postponed my writing, and joined the boys in bed.  I answered Neil's seemingly unending questions until we drifted off to sleep.

Gratitude is truly the cure to discontent.

...give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

Yakult time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats