Eat Right for Your Type by Dr. Peter J'Adamo


I borrowed this book from an officemate after a short discussion on the topic during our team meeting.  I was curious about the whole idea of using blood type as the primary basis for dietary decisions.  I have heard about it before but having someone share about it from this book got my attention this time.  The first part of the book introduces the evolution of different blood types.  Type O (me!) is said to be the original type, from the hunter/gatherer phase of civilization and are thus more suited to high-protein diets and cardio-heavy exercise.  Type A came about when people started tilling the land and eating plants.  Thus, they are more suited to a vegetarian diet.  The next few chapters detailed specific food groups and what are good, neutral and bad for the different types.  Some information made me happy, others made me miserable (knee-jerk reaction).  

I actually read the book before I was advised by the doctor to change my diet.  They aligned.  Again, stay away from fatty meat, minimize dairy products, citrus fruits, coffee, peanuts and wheat. It's US-based literature so I don't even know some of the items listed.  I just took note of the ones that are familiar to me.  It would not hurt to start following the list especially since I have not avoided any kind of food before and now I have borderline high cholesterol.  Because I can't not eat rice, I just started reducing the amount I eat.  I have not felt deprived so far which is good.=)  

We've also started adding prune juice to the weekly grocery list; and fruits which we used to rarely buy.  Di kami mahilig sa prutas.  We still have the apples bought 2 weeks ago so I have to do better at incorporating this into my day.   

Like all other diets, there are some articles that dispute this whole idea.  I am trying it out though because it seems to fit my profile, aside from being backed by 2 generations of research. 

I am ignoring the advice on coffee.  That's where I draw the line.=)

Comments

  1. Make smoothies with the apples, add a banana, some spinach, soy milk, and yogurt. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have everything except spinach. Sulayan nako soon. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also not a fan of apples. Walay lasa. But you can slice into cubes and put in yoghurt. Adds crunch. Pwede na, simpleng snack :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats