The Addams Family

Photo from Rappler.Com

Rich and I watched The Addams Family musical at the Meralco Theater last Sunday. I got the tickets at 50% off from Groupon. Awesome deal! I've wanted to watch this show since finding out about it from Atlantis Productions' Facebook page and the deal was just in time.  The Addams Family has a popular cast - Arnell Ignacio as Gomez Addams, Eula Valdez as Morticia and our neighbor Jaime Wilson as Uncle Fester.:)

The show was at 3PM but we made sure we got there a little early to get good seats. We were assigned to the second row of loge left side. Good seats!

Rich and I really enjoyed the show. I'm glad to have someone who I can drag to watch these things with me.=) My earliest exposure to The Addams Family was the movie with Anjelica Houston and Raul Julia and I really liked that movie.  The play was funny, but dark and morbid so it's definitely not for very young audiences. They cast great actors and everyone had moments to shine. I was especially impressed by Arnell. I saw a YouTube video of his interview with Boy Abunda and just found out he's a vocal coach, was a member of the UP Madrigal Singers and majored in conducting. He was really right for this role. Eula was perfect as Morticia as well. Soo good! Carla Guevarra-Laforteza as Alice Beineke was hilarious.  I'm really all raves about this musical.

It was the last show of the run and during the curtain call, a member of the cast spoke and encouraged the audience to share the gift of theater to someone who has not experienced it before, by buying tickets for them. And it was not a request specific to Atlantis but Philippine theater in general.  I agree that people just need to be exposed to theater before they can start liking it, and consider it another entertainment alternative to concerts or movies.

My own interest in theater started with Next to Normal which I first saw in New York a few years back. I watched it again with Rich when Atlantis did an adaptation and we have been watching shows here and there, though still not as often as I would like. We've also taken Neil to plays for kids (Seussical and Alice in Wonderland), which he enjoyed. We have really talented and dedicated artists and it's a privilege to support them.

My first time at the Meralco Theater

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats