God of Carnage

Richard and I watched the play God of Carnage last Sunday at the Carlos P. Romulo Theater in RCBC.  It's produced by Atlantis, the same company that brought us Rock of Ages, which we saw last month.  I wanted to see this play primarily because Lea Salonga is in it and this would be my first time to see her perform live.  Thank you Rich for supporting my bisyo.

God of Carnage has one scene and one act.  The entire play takes place in the living room where two sets of parents are try to talk through the situation where the one son hit and injured the other son's face with a stick.  It's an awkward scenario and you can feel the tension in the scene.  But before the evening ends, all civility flies out the window and chaos ensues.  There is puking, drinking, shouting, insulting, blaming, arguing and lots of crying.

God of Carnage was promoted as a comedy and there were funny parts for sure but to me, it had a lot of serious undertones as well.  I was a little exhausted watching the situation play out and I can imagine the actors would be, too.  I also mistakenly expected it to be a musical and wondered when they would break into a song.  Toinks!

The acting is superb here.  Great chemistry all around.  Everyone had to be 100% committed to their roles to be able to bring about the chaos and they delivered.  I did enjoy it but I should do my homework next time because I really prefer musicals. :) But the goal was to see Lea live so check, and it was a great show, too, so double check.

Cast pictures from Atlantis' Facebook page.

 Opening Night.


Coffee date after the show.

Comments

  1. they got Lea but there was no singing? you just have to watch her again :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late comment 'to Dee but better late than never :)

    I watched the movie version early this year and really enjoyed it. I read Lea's Inquirer column that they'll have a Manila run but my planned midyear trip is August kaya di ok sa schedule.

    I'll watch it though at Singapore by mid-November, as in mag-weekend ako dun just to catch the show haha Nasa bucket list ko din to watch Lea perform live :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats