Penang, Malaysia (2007)

The archive of this blog shows that my very first post was on April 20, 2009.  I actually started blogging in 2003 on blog-city which was deleted when I opted out of the paid service.  So there's 6 years of lost posts, including those from Neil's first year and early travels with Intel.  I am trying to build a memory bank here so I will be doing throwback posts on significant events every so often.  Personally, I enjoy looking at old pictures, so I might as well blog as much as I can remember of the stories as well.

Let's start with Penang, Malaysia, my very first international destination.  I have been to Penang 8 times between 2003 and 2007, all for business.  Because I traveled quite often, I did not feel pressured to check out the must-see places until my 6th trip.

Many different cultures and religions coexist in Penang.  This makes for very elaborate temples such as Kek Lok Si, Dhammikarama and Wat Chayamangkalaram.  Carlo and I visited all three in a day, plus Penang Hill.

Kek Lok Si Temple
The Kek Lok Si Temple is a Buddhist temple situated in Air Itam in Penang and is one of the best known temples on the island. It is the largest Buddhist temple in Southeast Asia. Mahayana Buddhism and traditional Chinese rituals blend into a harmonious whole, both in the temple architecture and artwork as well as in the daily activities of worshippers. (Wikipedia)

Dhammikarama
Dhamikarama Burmese Temple in Penang enjoys the prestige of being the first Burmese Buddhist Temple in Malaysia, built in 1803. It provides a historical evidence of Burmese occupation in Penang as well as the retreat for Buddhist devotees. The temple is located at the enclave of Burmah Lane in Pulau Tikus alongside another magnificent architecture of Wat Chayamangkalaram. (Wikipedia)


Wat Chayamangkalaram
Wat Chaiya Mangkalaram is a Thai Buddhist temple in George Town, Penang, Malaysia, most notable for its Reclining Buddha statue. The statue is the 3rd largest of its kind, being 33 meters in length. In the main shrine in front of the Reclining Buddha there are smaller shrines of different Buddhas and popular Thai deities. (Wikipedia)

Penang Hill
Penang Hill is a hill resort comprising a group of peaks in Penang, Malaysia. It is located in Air Itam, which is 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) from the city centre of George Town. The hill stands out prominently from the lowlands as a hilly and forested area. Penang Hill is also known by the Malay name Bukit Bendera, which refers to Flagstaff Hill, the most developed peak. (Wikipedia)

I had a hard time choosing photos for this post because there were very few and most of them aren't nice!  I have proof that my picture-taking skills has improved over the years, plus technology has improved by leaps and bounds since then. =)

Comments

  1. Hi Dee,

    Yey, a post on Penang! :)
    Early on, I didn't like Penang very much. Only after I had Sarah I realised it's such a great place to raise a kid.

    Wala na gaanong visitors since CV closed down, sayang :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it looks like there are lots to do for kids from your posts. I forgot to mention Penang food, soo good kahit tipong tabi-tabi lang.=)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats