UPIE Talk

One thing that I would remember January 2010 for is that this is the month of my first ever speaking engagement.  Whee!

I received and email on Jan 13, inviting me to be one of the speakers in UP for the IE Days celebration.  I've wanted to do this kind of sharing since last year, and now that there was a opportunity, I actually hesitated.  The usual concerns of stepping out of my comfort zone... But I remember what Em said about becoming Yes People.  Meaning, say yes to opportunities and open oneself up to new experiences.  I called Rich to tell him about it and to my surprise, he discouraged me.  I was disappointed that he wasn't supportive so when I came home, I told him about it.  And it was a good thing I did (and not sulk/tampo over what he said).  He thought I said 'mag-sticker', i.e. putting on stickers and not speaker.  Haha!

So I confirmed.  It was a go for my first talk.

I prepared my outline and looked through it every so often.  I was actually busy the week of the talk and didn't have time to go over the flow with Rich...

Friday came.  I left the house a little past 9AM.  After two jeepneys and one MRT, I was in UP, with a few minutes to spare.  I went to the shopping center, which still looks the same, bought some necessities, then walked to the Eng'g building.  The forum that was supposed to start at 11 started past 11:30.  Apart from the delay, the thing went smoothly.  I just shared with the students what I know and tried to give them as much information as possible.  I hope they learned from my talk and consider OR as a future career.

And as far as I could see (without my glasses), nobody dozed off. =)

Here's to saying YES!

PROOF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats