Atlanta Feb2011: Stone Mountain

I traveled to Atlanta Feb 12-18 for the IHG Americas Sales and Marketing All-Team Meeting.  This is my second ASM meeting, the first one was in May 2010 (when I traveled with Richard and Neil).  It's set up like a conference and the agenda was packed.  But this is something I looked forward to because the one last year was very well organized, informative and engaging.  It's also another opportunity to set up a few face-to-face meetings with the people I work with.  More on the work stuff in another post. =)

I left Manila on February 12.  It was an uneventful but long flight.  The thing that I had been dreading was the subzero temperatures in the forecasts.  I had my winter clothes ready in my carry-on bag because I didn't want to be miserable in the cold.  What do you know?  The sun was up and my sweater proved sufficient.=)  Thanks for the warm welcome, Atlanta!

I booked a shared ride shuttle at the airport for USD20 but nobody else came so I had my personal van going to the hotel - The Intercontinental Buckhead.  The ride from the airport took less than 30 minutes.  I wanted to just stay in the hotel, but hunger compelled me to walk the ~10 minutes to the Lenox Center Mall and get takeout from CPK. (Room service is available of course but I couldn't justify the price, even if I technically wasn't paying.  I wanted to explore the area as well so...)

Hotel room
Evening view from my hotel room.
The following day was dedicated to exploring the Stone Mountain Park.  I visited most of the touristy spots in Atlanta last year, except Stone Mountain so it worked out that Cess and Nina also wanted to go there.  We navigated the trains and buses and walked the streets towards the park.  The walking probably took most of the time we were there.



We had lunch at Miss Katie's, a Southern style restaurant where you have to catch the bread the servers throw at you.=)


After lunch, Cess and Nina bought tickets for the snow activities, I decided not to because the fake snow and slide weren't very enticing.  I looked around and took pictures instead.


I was soo jetlagged later in the afternoon I opted to go back to the hotel while Cess and Nina explored Five Points some more.  Jetlag beats the travel bug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats