Church Notes: When God Doesn't Make Sense

When God Doesn't Make Sense is the title of the recently concluded 3-week preaching series at VCF.  It's a study on the book of Habbakuk and it teaches us about the right perspective with God does not seem to make sense.

Check out the podcasts here: http://victoryfort.org/podcast-2/2011-podcasts/when-god-doesnt-make-sense/.  I recommend Pastor Steve Murrell's message on When Bad Things Happen.

The three part of this series:

  • When I Do Not Understand
  • When It Takes Too Long
  • When Bad Things Happen

When I Do Not Understand
Habbakuk was a prophet in the tumultuous time in Jerusalem's history before it was invaded by the Babylonians.  Israel is suffering internally from veering away from God and they were also threatened by invading armies.

Habakkuk means "to wrestle" or "to embrace".  The book of Habbakuk shows the prophet questioning God about Israel's suffering and deliverance.  It's ok to ask God questions.  It is in asking questions and finding answers that we grow in faith.

When It Takes Too Long
There are predictable things about God.  He is holy, loving, faithful.  But there are unpredictable things as well, like the hows and whens - the very things that we have to wait for... Habakkuk shows us how we should wait.

Habakkuk 2 says:
I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; 
I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this complaint.
...For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. 
Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay.
...the righteous person will live by his faithfulness

Stand at my watch - posture of waiting
Station myself on the ramparts - position/place where God wants us to wait; the ramparts is where one can have a better perspective
Look to see what he will say to me - purpose, the Word of God
Appointed time; though it linger, wait for it, it will certainly come - the pronouncements will happen in God's own time.

When Bad Things Happen
  • Sometimes God's answers are more difficult to deal with than the questions
  • Ask God in prayer to also do for you what He has done for others. Habakkuk 3 says:
LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, LORD.
Repeat them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy.
  • But what if God doesn't do what you ask for?  Habakkuk 3 says:
Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines,
   though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food,
   though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls,
   yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Even if You don't do what I want, I will do what You want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats