Bon Chon - Greenbelt 1

Bon Chon opened its first branch in Manila last year.  I remember there was some buzz surrounding it, at least in the blogs I follow, due to its having been hailed by GQ and Esquire as the best fried chicken in America.



My first taste of Bon Chon was in New Jersey, November last year.  Joel and I ordered the mixed spicy and regular chicken for dinner after a long day in NY.  The chicken, at the least, tasted different from the Jollibee, McDo and KFC.  It's more herby and I thought it was pretty good.

Bon Chon in New Jersey

I finally tasted my first Bon Chon chicken in Manila last Saturday.  I didn't really know what their price range is so I was pleasantly surprised to find rice meals with drinks at P145.  Ok na!
 

We ordered the drumsticks, chops (chicken breast fillet), fish and bulgogi ricebox meals for takeout.  We ate the food more than an hour later.  I think they really would have tasted better if freshly served, i.e. chicken coating would be crispiest.  A lesson for next time.

Pretty boxes =)

The 2-piece chicken and beef bulgogi were sulit.  The fish and breast had very thin slices and only looked substantial because of the thick breading.  If it's any consolation, the breading is well seasoned and can almost stand for ulam all by itself.


Overall, the chicken is very good and definitely a welcome break from the more popular fast food fried chicken.  Their prices are reasonable and unlike most stores, they don't charge additional fee if you exchange your drinks for iced tea.

We will be back!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats