Leadership Fundamentals

I read a book by Max Lucado a long time ago entitled "It's Not About Me."  It's about understanding our purpose here on earth which is to live lives that glorify God.

I got the same message from a training last week, albeit in a different context.  I attended the Leadership Fundamentals training at work, along with other people managers.  We went through the personality assessment, discussions and a lot of exercises/applications on the modules covered.  It was 2 days full of practical, readily applicable steps towards being a better leader, and not just a manager.  The gist: leadership is about helping the people being led, how to mentor them not only in their careers but also in their personal lives.  It's about them.  One can and should learn to be a better leader, at the expense of personal comfort, preferences, etc.  If one is not willing to make changes, then he should just remain an individual contributor. 

For all of my career in Intel, I've "successfully avoided" getting into a leadership position even though there have been opportunities to make the change, and even though Richard has encouraged me to do it.  I will learn a lot daw.  Now, I manage 1 person.  A good number that slowly eased me into role.  I've struggled with a few aspects of it, mostly because of my personality, but I know have to work through my issues to help and serve.  I am in the process of hiring 2 more people so I have to shape up and fast. =)

Above the concepts, I also appreciate meeting other folks from the site last week.

Some of us

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats