An off-week that included ESWL for kidney stones

This was a medically memorable week for me.  I saw 5 different doctors, several lab tests done and a major procedure (relative because I am not sick often, thank God).

The story.  I had on-and-off bladder related difficulties for a week so I decided to finally consult the doctor last Monday.  After a couple of tests, I found out I had UTI, and so started medications Monday.  There were also echoes found on my kidney so the doctor recommended I see a urologist.  So I did that on Tuesday and I was told they were stones.  Hmmm...

I could either take daily medications for months or undergo ESWL (extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy), which I had no clue about.  The doctor showed me a simulation of the procedure on her iPad and it looked simple enough.  It's non-invasive and uses shock waves to break down the stones so that they can be passed with the urine. 

I was scheduled for ESWL 8:30AM on Saturday.  I got instructions from the nurse about needing to fast 8 hours prior to the procedure and also to bring Philhealth requirements so I processed those during the week.  I had meant to read more about the procedure but wasn't able to anymore...  

Richard accompanied me to the clinic on Saturday.  I was met by the anesthesiologist and was surprised to find out that I needed to be sedated for the procedure, will need IV for pain meds, and hooked up to monitors.  Also, I thought there will be no physical sensation (not in the simulation :S). Not as simple as I thought.  Lesson learned: research!

Anyway, after everything was explained to me, I went ahead with the procedure.  There were 2500 shocks delivered to my right abdominal area.  I was mildly aware of the pain and heard the conversations around, but was just to groggy with morphine to care.  The procedure took less than an hour, then I rested a few more minutes.  


I was then given instructions about what to do in the coming days (drink 4 liters of water per day, jog on the third day, etc) and some side effects including nausea and vomiting, hematoma and sleepiness (yup!).

So, even if it was an off week for me, I am still thankful that this was discovered early, also thankful for medical coverage, and my supportive family.  All is well. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats