San Diego Sep2011: Balboa Park + Museum of Art

We had blocks of free time last week.  Our team of four (minus boss) decided to check out Balboa Park.  I haven't been there before but heard good things about it so I was excited to check it out.  It was a short cab ride from the hotel to the park.

And it was nice out there.  I can imagine spending an afternoon just walking around and enjoying the view.

 

We only had a couple of hours free so we decided to check out the San Diego Museum of Art.  They had a special exhibit entitled From El Greco to Dali: Spanish Masters from the Perez Simon Collection.  I know El Greco and Dali from the Humanities books that I used to read a lot back in high school and college.  I love the arts and here was another opportunity for me to see works by the masters up close.


Aside from El Greco and Dali, there were works by Picasso, Georgia O'Keefe (starstruck moments), and a host of artists I haven't heard of.  It's great that we have these art from centuries ago that give light into how life was like, and what people thought of as beautiful back then.



Looking at art evokes a lot of thoughts and feelings, but they all seem to go peaceably together.  There is no turmoil, just an overall sentiment that everything makes sense... 

The permanent collection includes regional and religious artifacts from around the world.


I would have liked to spend more time in there but we needed to get back to the hotel for the evening activity.

Team photo outside the museum.


Balboa Park, I will see you again. =)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats