Lunch Troubles

I am the menu planner in our house.  Every weekend, I list what will be ulam for the whole week and the corresponding grocery list.  Lately, there have been a lot of repeats so I am always on the lookout for new dishes to try.  I chanced upon a roast chicken recipe in a magazine and decided it was going to be ulam for yesterday.  The chicken was thawed at 9AM and at 10AM, I looked for the recipe.

Trouble #1.  I couldn't remember which magazine it was so we had to flip through a stack of magazines to find the recipe.  I was getting ready to just wing it based on what little I remember but before that had to happen, we found the right copy.  Yey!

Trouble #2.  It says cooking time is 45 minutes.  Doable.  But prep time was 3.5 hours!  Toinks!  This is what I get for just taking a cursory glance at the recipe...  Anyway, no choice.  We had to have lunch by 12 noon so I shortened the marinating time to less than 5 minutes.

I  stuffed the chicken with lemongrass, tomatoes and onion, rubbed the outside with rosemary and thyme, and poured the marinade over it, and put it inside the oven at 350F.  After 45 minutes, it was still a bit uncooked so I gave it some more time at the oven.  After 20 more minutes, still a bit uncooked.

Trouble #3.  It turns out, LPG has run out... So I took slices and fried them to make sure it's 100% cooked.

That's lunch for today -- fried roast chicken.  Ok naman (Neil ate it!) but definitely could be done better.


Before frying

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats