PasikBlogan #11: Five Things I Find Challenging About Blogging

PasikBlogan Challenge #11: Five Things I Find Challenging About Blogging

=================================
I have been blogging on and off since 2003.  My first blog was hosted on blog-city, which I discontinued when they turned it into a paid service.  Then I moved to multiply, then blogger.  Even if I have been doing this for so long, I am no veteran.  There are still some things I find challenging about it.  Here's my top 5:

1) This blog is public on the web, no viewer restrictions.  I still struggle with how much to disclose and how personal should I get with the posts.  The thought that total strangers can learn quite a lot about me from this blog still makes me uncomfortable.  But I also want those who know me to get enough updates so it's a constant balancing act.  My few personal blogging rules: no whining, no personal attacks, no negativity...

2) I used to keep separate blogs on parenting, books, and my 365 photography project.  It WAS good because I know where a specific post should go.  Each blog was cohesive as well.  The downside: I had fewer updates on each blog because they're distributed.  And the longer I went without a post, the harder it became to do one...  Early this year, I decided to integrate everything in this one smorgasbord of a blog. I chose keeping one multi-topic blog vs. multiple single-topic blogs.  I will consider switching if it makes sense but this current setup is working for me.

3) My blogging had seasons.  There were productive seasons and dry seasons.  I am definitely doing a better job this year, I hope I can keep up posting regularly.=)  One factor is that once I think of something to write about, I add it to my list.  I refer to them once I get the time and motivation to write.

4) If somebody reads my blog and then meets me in person, would their impression of me change?  Another challenge is how to make the writing in this blog sound like the real me.  My writing tends to be formal and serious and to some extent, that's me (in public?), but there are other facets that don't get represented here.  Finding that unique voice that adequately represents me is still a work-in-progress.

5) No 5. =)

I am keeping this blog primarily as a way to remember the events and seasons of my life.  I tend to be forgetful so it's nice to have this and my pictures to go back to.  It's also a way for Neil to get a glimpse into his childhood when he's all grown up.  Selfish reasons for now, but I'll keep it going to see where I can take it...



 ================================= 
PasikBlogan is a challenge for  Bloggers to stretch outside their comfort zone. Learn more at the PasikBlogan Facebook page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats