Our First Photobook

In September 2011, I bought a voucher for a Fotosnaps photobook.  I've always wanted to make one because it's a fast and easy way to view and show pictures.  Fast forward to April 2012.  I was left with barely a week to complete the layout before the deal expires.  I planned to do it one weekend but it didn't happen so I crammed, rushed the layout and submitted it day before expiry.  Here's the final product.

Front Cover
Before getting married - in the Philippines
Before getting married - in the US
April 24, 2005
2006 - Cagayan de Oro, Davao, Camiguin
2007 - Hong Kong, Singapore, Coron, Iligan
2008 - New house in Cavite, Baguio, Manila Ocean Park, Neil's first Christmas
2008 - The Neil Year
2009 - Manila and Iligan
2010 - Atlanta, San Diego, LA, Batangas, Manila, Iligan
2011 - Bohol, Manila, Iligan
Past 6 anniversaries
Back Cover

Given more time, I would have added more text and improved the layout on some of the pages.  But for a rushed first attempt, I love it and I'm proud of myself.  Hehe...=)

Fotosnaps is really easy and convenient to use.  You download the software to your PC so you can work offline.  It comes with a lot of layout, borders and backgrounds to choose from but it also allows you to customize as much as you want.  Ordering and availaing of the voucher was a breeze.  I submitted it on April 16 and the book was delivered April 24.  I am a fan and I am now looking out for similar deals so I can make more books!

Her are some tips from a newbie photobook-maker:
  1. Go with a specific concept.  I think the more focused it is, the easier.  For my first book, I wanted to do a family story of sorts so it spanned many years and choosing the pictures alone took a lot of time.  If you just do one for a specific trip or come up with a photography portfolio, that's more cohesive and easier to put together.
  2. Give yourself enough time because rushing = compromises.  I wasn't able to add more text and some of the pages could have been designed better.  Maybe I could have chosen better photos or take new ones for the book.  Lesson for next time.
  3. Experiment/Get creative.  It's your book and you have all the freedom to do whatever you want!  I do not like cluttered pages and have a tendency to just go with a plain color background but I tried the available graphic backgrounds and have to say they add more spunk to the pages.
  4. Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz