Sewing + Mommy Memories

In a previous post, I mentioned another hobby which I really enjoyed when I was a young(er) --  sewing.  I was introduced to sewing by early exposure.  Mommy sew and she would be working on different projects all the time.  She would sometimes ask us to help with the simple parts like hemming straight seams or hand sewing buttonholes.  Because I generally like making things, it was just a matter of time before I picked up the hobby.

I don’t recall how old I was when my mother taught me to use the sewing machine.  She said elementary years.  I think it was before I turned 10.  I remember practicing sewing straight and curved lines on paper then moved on to cloth once I got the foot-hand-eye coordination down.   Mommy always had a stash of cloth and other materials that we can play with so I did a lot of sewing projects back in the day.  I remember a specific project that I was really proud of -- a small bag with zipper closure and striped pink and white pocket on the side.  As I recalled it I somehow have this mental association with Grade 4 so I will trust that it’s an actual memory.=)  I also stitched the smocking on my elementary graduation dress.  Sewing was an enjoyable pastime.  It all stopped when I moved to UP for college, obviously.

Someday, I will take up sewing again.

And on that note...

Happy Mothers' Day, Mommy, Nang Lani and future mommy Dets!=)
We love you!





2002, 2005 and 2012.  Mommy made my wedding dress, Nang Lani and Ate Girlie's, too (not in photo).  For Dets' dress, Mommy cut the material but was not able to sew because she recently had her eye operated on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Around the Internet 12.09.11

It's Not Complicated: Samson and Delilah, Ruth and Boaz

Filipino Friday 3: Reading Habits and Book Formats